5 Key Stories From The Digital Worlds
BY NABYL CHARANIA
- Extent to which platforms have become an essential part of the business landscape and no longer the domain solely of digital natives.
- Platforms are less common in markets with lower digital maturity, such as pharmaceuticals and healthcare (55 percent).
- Top reasons these platforms thrive are connected to network and scale effects, in tandem with the desire to secure end-to-end digital services.
- Owners of smart speakers are more likely to purchase other smart home devices such as smart thermostats and locks.
- Forecast that 134.8 million new smart speakers will be installed in the US in the next five years.
- Amazon shared in early 2019 that the number of voice applications built for Alexa had reached 80,000 worldwide, up from the 70,000 skills in December of 2018.
- While 72% of unicorn investors have only invested in one unicorn company, there are some investors who have pulled away from the group, backing 10, 20, even 40+ unicorn companies.
- In terms of total unique unicorns backed, New York-based Tiger Global Management takes the top spot, with 42 unicorn portfolio companies.
- SoftBank’s unicorn portfolio companies have the highest cumulative valuation, with 38 unicorns worth a collective $389B.
- If you see a disconnect between your creatives and your consultants…build quick consensus by clearly and empathetically articulating your vision.
- Creatives and consultants need to be supported by a network of colleagues who help bring the work to life.
- Look at their technology teams as partners in the process, instead of just the group that implements an idea.
- Siemens says the technology will save a 40-ton truck 20,000 euros ($22,000) in fuel costs over 62,100 miles.
- 6-mile stretch of the A5 Autobahn will be tested until 2022, after which a decision will be made on whether or not to expand the project.
- Germany’s transport ministry recently published a study saying 80% of Germany’s truck traffic could soon become electrified.