5 Key Stories From The Digital Worlds
BY NABYL CHARANIA
- Already, 5 US-headquartered venture-backed tech companies have gone public since the start of 2019 raising $6.6B in total funding and exiting at a combined valuation of ~$48B.
- Numbers are especially impressive considering that the pace of US VC-backed tech companies going public is not increasing.
- Looking at the average US VC-backed tech IPO exit valuation since 2012, this year’s average of $9.6B (through the start of May, and excluding upcoming IPOs) is more than double the previous record of $4.3B in 2012.
- Trucking is going to be a $1 trillion dollar industry by 2024…surprising given that trucking seems like a traditional, slow-moving industry.
- Investors and startups alike are interested in shaking up the way this lucrative industry operates.
- KeepTruckin, which raised $149 million in a Series D late last month to help companies manage their fleets and drivers…trucking unicorn is now valued at $1.4 billion.
- Duplex—an AI system that understands natural language and holds conversations like a human…can adapt to work with websites across the internet.
- To allow the digital assistant to work natively on the phone…reduced its 500GB language-processing database to just half a gigabyte.
- “With Lens, we’re indexing the physical world for billions of people and places much like search indexes the billions of places on the web.”
- Gen Z has grown up with the internet and smartphones and spent their entire lives adapting to new technology.
- Generation that watches Netflix twice as much as cable TV, the generation that would rather stream music with ads than buy an album and own it forever.
- Twitch – 895 million monthly views…TikTok – 27 million monthly active users (69% are ages 13-24).
- Modifies Chrysler Pacifica minivans with self-driving equipment like cameras and LiDAR sensors — will be available on the Lyft ride-hailing app in the Phoenix area.
- Autonomous Lyfts are available in Las Vegas through a partnership with Aptiv.
- 10 self-driving cars would be available to request on Lyft starting in about three months.