5 Key Stories From The Digital Worlds
BY NABYL CHARANIA
- Live-streaming platform Twitch paid $90 million for the rights to the Overwatch League.
- Activision Blizzard, creator of Overwatch, beat its revenue forecast for Q1 2019, in part because of its ESports initiatives.
- Combine fan spend, media rights, and sponsorships, the esports market is now worth an estimated $922 million.
- The business backbone, the core systems, burden digital transformation strategies.
- Insurers spend about two-thirds of finite tech budgets on these run-the-business systems.
- Tech leaders need to demonstrate business value of these maintenance and ops investments.
- Using artificial intelligence isn’t just about software.
- Companies are quickly realizing that the hardware it runs on and is trained on is also critical.
- Using A.I. isn’t as simple as feeding numbers into fancy software and waiting for a result that will lead to lots of profits.
- So far in 2019, there have been 27 rounds raised by EV companies, accounting for approximately $2.1 billion in known funding.
- Earlier this year, Ford tied up with Rivian to the tune of $500 million…working on new batteries for Ford’s own electric car work.
- Uber’s Advanced Technology Group picked up a billion, and Cruise, part of the GM empire raised $1.15 billion as well.
- Attendance has been “off the charts” at the bitcoin education events facilitated by the company.
- This intense interest isn’t just from millennials, but older retail investors too.
- Found that investment advisors (RIAs) are equally interested in bitcoin futures as the company’s ‘pure retail’ clients.