5 Key Stories From The Digital Worlds
BY NABYL CHARANIA
- Inspired by multibillion-dollar valuations for traditional sports clubs, investors looking to get in on the ground floor have valued at least three esports organizations at over $100 million.
- There are currently esports leagues and competitions for over 30 different game titles…Fortnite and PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds are two of the top five esports in terms of Twitch hours watched in 2018, neither of which even existed until March 2017.
- However, esports is dominated by shooting games (first-person shooters, such as Counter-Strike: Global Offensive; battle royale, such as Fortnite; and multiplayer online battle-arena games, such as League of Legends), rather than sports-based games.
- Gaia is centered on a posh marble and oak “Barista Island” where space tourists, their friends and family will mingle with VG employees and pilots over breakfast and coffee as they contemplate cutting the tether of Earth’s gravity for the first time.
- The building is the centerpiece of New Mexico’s Spaceport America, a state-owned facility that has been quietly waiting for several years in the empty desert next to the White Sands Missile Range for Virgin Galactic to finally move in.
- The company says the remainder of its test flight program, which has largely been conducted in California’s Mojave Desert until now, will take place at Spaceport America in preparation for its first commercial flights to space in the coming months.
- Expect Asia Pacific’s share of global social advertising spend to increase from 30% in 2018 to 35% in 2023, mostly due to growth in China.
- Revenue per user is powering the overall growth in social advertising spend in terms of both depth and width: Social media players are increasing their revenue per user by launching novel advertising formats and increasing ad loads (depth), while individuals are using multiple social platforms and adding new platforms to the list of social media they use (width).
- While the increase in the number of users of social channels is slowing in most key emerging markets (India is the exception), growth in revenue per user remains robust.
- tractor trailers are outfitted with nine cameras, as well as LiDAR sensors, those spinning contraptions often attached to the roofs of self-driving vehicles to help them “see.”
- According to UPS, the trucks have been roaming a 100-mile stretch between Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona since May…fleet is designed as “level four autonomous trucking,” which means all operations are automated.
- Earlier in the year, the company announced a program that will deliver medicine over short distances via drones.
- Cincinnati-based Kroger, which operates some 2,700 supermarkets in 35 states…entered into an exclusive partnership last year with Ocado Group, a British grocery retailer that has no stores, delivering orders to homes directly from its automated warehouses…In the next three years, Kroger plans to build 20 automated warehouses.
- At one of Ocado’s grocery fulfillment centers near London, for example, some 1,000 robots scurry around a mechanical grid moving bins of groceries…better the automated system works and the more orders it processes, the brighter the prospects of higher profit.
- In a few years, with supercomputers, the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts expects “to be able to detect high-impact events two weeks into the future.”