5 Key Stories From The Digital Worlds
BY NABYL CHARANIA
- Businesses are adopting digital technologies at an unprecedented pace, with spending on digital transformation expected to reach a staggering $1.25 trillion in 2019.
- 79% of the more than 6,600 business and IT executives worldwide that Accenture surveyed for its 2019 report, “The Post-Digital Era Is Upon Us,” say that digital technologies — specifically social, mobile, analytics, and cloud, which we refer to as SMAC — have now moved beyond adoption silos to become part of the technology foundation for their organizations.
- Initially developed for the financial services industry to increase trading efficiency, improve regulatory control, and eliminate unnecessary intermediaries, DLT has expanded to other industries, including supply chain and logistics, and helps companies hard wire trust into a variety of transactions.
- British Airways is adding virtual reality to its entertainment options on select London-to-New York flights from now until the end of 2019.
- First-class flyers will be able to enjoy a selection of award-winning films, documentaries, and travel programs in 2D, 3D or 360 formats.
- In addition to movies, customers can also use virtual reality to help them get through the flight with a range of therapeutic programs, including guided meditation and sound therapy.
- Briggo, an Austin-based technology company, has installed a gourmet automated coffee kiosk at SFO, and it will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week without any on-site staff.
- A fully-contained unit purpose-built to create custom whole-bean blends and add fresh dairy and syrups at a rate of up to 100 cups per hour.
- That volume is appealing in high-traffic, highly caffeinated environments like airports or shopping centers.
- Offers what in Starsky’s view is far more valuable: automatic access to its trucking capacity, no phone calls or paper logs necessary.
- Startups including Convoy, Loadsmart, Transfix and Uber Freight are aiming to disrupt the freight brokerage part of the trucking world by developing apps that match truckers with shippers.
- Believe that there is a $50-billion-plus freight market on routes that appear easy for our current system to drive in states where it is legal…that means routes in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana and Texas.
- Santa Monica, California-based Super League Gaming focuses on local esports, like staging Minecraft competitions in movie theaters during the daytime.
- Will work with Tencent to bring PUBG Mobile content and experiences to gamers throughout the U.S….will build local and digital PUBG Mobile communities through amateur leagues and competitions, livestream broadcasts, and original video-on-demand content.
- PUBG Mobile is one of the top smartphone games in the world, with more than 400 million downloads and 50 million daily users.